Dated, Jullundur, the 24th December 1973.
Sub : Transfer of Urban Evacuee Houses/Commercial Evacuee Land on the Basis of Possession since 1/1/1970
All available urban evacuee properties in the Punjab are henceforth to be disposed of by the Rehabilitation Department of the Punjab Government. The unauthorized occupants, whether claim-holders or non-claimants, are entitled to get the properties in their occupation transferred by negotiation under Rules 25 & 26 of the Displaced Persons (Compensation & Rehabilitation) Rules, 1956, but in order to avoid dislocation of the unauthorized occupants of evacuee properties, it has been decided to transfer the properties in their possession according to the Punjab Urban Evacuee Properties (Disposal) Rules, 1973, provided such occupants apply for the transfer by the properties in their possession within 3 months of the date of issue of this Press Note. The main features or the scheme of transfer of properties to unauthorized occupants are given :
1. Evacuee houses and built up plots on which residential construction has already been raised may be transferred to the occupants, on prevailing market price provided their possession was continuous and undisputed from 1/1/1970 or before, and provided in the case of built up plots, the constructions had been raised on or before the said date, provided further that the occupant does not own a residential house or plot.
2. Commercial premises/shops/commercial buildings and built up sites, if occupied and built upon on or before 1/1/1970, may be transferred on the prevailing market price, provided the occupant does not own any commercial premises/shops/commercial building or built up site.
3. Where a person is occupying more than one house or more than one built up plot, he shall be entitled to the transfer of only one of these two properties; this principle being applicable to the occupants of commercial premises as well.
4. Where urban evacuee agricultural lands have been utilized for construction of residential building or commercial building, built up area may be transferred to the occupants on the prevailing market price, subject to the fulfillment of other conditions.
5. Each transferee shall be required to pay in cash 25 % of the price in addition to the up to-date rent and other dues, if any, relating to the property transferred to him , within 30 days of the determination of his eligibility, while the balance shall be recovered in three half-yearly instalments bearing an interest @ 6 % per annum
6. The members of the Scheduled Caste shall be entitled to the following concessions:
(i) The Scheduled Caste & Backward Classes occupants may purchase these properties at 25 % of the price payable by the non-Scheduled Caste occupants.
(ii) The Scheduled Caste occupants may pay the price in 12 half-yearly instalments @ 4% interest per annum ; and
(iii) Where it is established that members of the Scheduled Castes had built houses on evacuee land (i.e land owned by Muslim migrants) before 15th August , 1947, such persons shall be entitled to retain those houses without any further payment.
7. Urban evacuee agricultural land and other properties may be disposed of by negotiation to Government departments/institutions etc.
8. All other urban agricultural lands/properties not covered by principles mentioned hereinbefore shall be disposed of by public auction or otherwise in accordance with the policy of the State Govt.
All interested persons are advised to submit their applications (in duplicate) for transfer of properties in their possession to the Assistant Settlement Officer (Sales), 665 Model Town, Jullundur, within three months from the date of issue of this Press Note in the prescribed forms obtainable from the Tehsildar (Sales)/Naib Tehsildar (Sales) of the district concerned. The application should be accompanied by a Court Fee Stamp of Rs. 1/- alongwith an affidavit, duly attested by a Magistrate Ist Class or Notary Public or an Oath commissioner in respect of the contents of the application transfer of properties in their occupation to the said Officer need not apply fresh.