GOVERNMENT OF PUNJAB
DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE AND REHABILITATION
THE 12TH DECEMBER 2003
No. G.S.R. 65/Const./Art. 309/2003.-In exercise of the powers conferred by the proviso to article 309 of the Constitution of India, and all other powers enabling him in this behalf, the Governor Punjab is pleased to make the following rules, regulating the recruitment and the conditions of Service of the persons appointed to the Punjab District Revenue Officers (Group-A) Service, namely:-
1. Short title, commencement and application:-
(1) These rules may be called the Punjab District Revenue Officers (Group-A) Service Rules, 2003.
(2) They shall come into force on and with effect from the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
(3) They shall apply to the posts specified in Appendix ‘A’.
2. Definition:- In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires,-
(a) ‘Appendix’ means an Appendix appended to these rules;
(b) ‘Government’ means the government of the State of Punjab in the Department of Revenue and Rehabilitation;
(c) ‘Service’ means the Punjab District Revenue Officers (Group-A) Service; and
(d) ‘Tehsildar’ means Tehsildar employed on revenue or settlement or any other work under the control of the Financial Commissioner revenue.
3. Number and character of posts:- The Service shall comprise the posts specified in Appendix ‘A’:
Provided that nothing in these rules shall affect the inherent right of the Government to add or reduce the number of such posts or to create new posts with different designations and scales of pay, whether permanently or temporarily.
4. Appointing authority:- Appointment to the Service shall be made by the Government.
5. Pay of members of the Service:- The members of the Service shall be entitled to such scales of pay, as may be sanctioned by the Punjab Government from time to time. The scales of pay at present in force in respect of the members of the Service, are given in Appendix ‘A’.
6. Method of appointment, qualifications and experience:-
(1) Appointment to the service shall be made in the manner as specified in Appendix ‘B’:
Provided that if, no suitable candidate is available for appointment by promotion, then appointment to the Service shall be made by transfer of a person holding a similar or an identical post under a State Government or Government of India.
(2) No person shall be appointed to a post in the Service unless he possesses the qualifications and experience as specified against that post in Appendix ‘B’.
(3) Appointment to the service by promotion shall be made on the basis of seniority-cum-merit, but no person shall have any right to claim promotion on the basis of seniority alone.
7. Discipline, punishment and appeal.-
(1) In the matters of discipline, punishment and appeal, the members of the service shall be governed by the Punjab Civil Services (Punishment and Appeal) Rules, 1970 as amended from time to time.
(2) The authority empowered to impose any of the penalties specified in rule 5 of the Punjab Civil Services (Punishment and Appeal) Rules, 1970 in respect of the members of the Service, shall be the Government.
8. Application of the Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994:-
(1) In respect of the matters, which are not specifically provided in these rules, the members of Service shall be governed by the Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of Service) Rules, 1994, as amended from time to time.
(2) The Punjab Civil Services (General and Common Conditions of service) Rules, 1994, at present in force, are contained in Appendix ‘C’.
9. Interpretation:- If any question arises as to the interpretation of these rules, the Government shall decide the same.
10. Repeal and Saving:- The Punjab District Revenue Officers (Class-I) Service Rules, 1983, in so far as these are applicable to the members of the Service, are hereby repealed:
Provided that any order issued or any action taken under the rules so repealed, shall be deemed to have been issued or taken under the corresponding provisions of these rules.
[See Rules 1 (3), 3 and 5]
Number of posts
|Designation of the post||Permanent||Temporary||Total||Scale of pay (in rupees)|
|District Revenue Officer||14||5||19||7220-220-8100-275-10300-340-11660|
(See Rule 6)
|Designation of the post||Percentage for appointment by promotion||Qualifications and experience for appointment by promotion|
|District Revenue Officer||Hundred percent||From amongst the Tehsildars, who have an experience of working as such for a minimum of eight years|