(PUNJAB ACT NO.6 OF 1998)
[Received the assent of the Governor of Punjab
AN Act Further to amend The Punjab Security of Land Tenures Act, 1953.
BE it enacted by the Legislature of the State of Punjab in the Forty- eight Year of the Republic of India, as follows:-
1. (1) This Act may be called the Punjab Security of Land Tenures Act. 1997;
(2) It shall come into force at once.
2. In the Punjab Security of Land Tenures Act, 1953 (hereinafter referred to as the Principal Act), in section 2, after clause (8), the following clause shall be inserted, namely:-
“(8-A)“Non-Resident Indian” means a person of Indian origin
who is either
Permanently or temporarily settled outside
either case :–
(a) for or on taking up employment
(b) for carrying on a business or
(c) for any other purpose, in such circumstances as would indicate
his intention to stay outside
3. In the Principal Act, in section 9,
in sub-section (1), for the words “no land-owner”, the words “no land-owner
other than a land owner who is a member of the Armed Forces of the
4. In the Principal Act, in section 9-A,
in the third proviso, after the words “a member of the Armed Forces of the
5. In the Principal Act, after section 9-A, the following section shall be inserted, namely :-
“9-B. The concession given under sections 9 and 9-A to the land owner who is a Non-Resident Indian shall be one time concession and shall be available only in respect of the land acquired, or held by him before the commencement of the Punjab Security of Land Tenures (Amendment) Act,1997.”
Short title and commencement.
Amendment of section-2 of Punjab Act 10 of 1953.
Amendment of section-9 of Punjab Act 10 of 1953.
Amendment of section 9-A of Punjab Act 10 of 1953.
Insertion of new section 9-B in Punjab Act 10 of 1953.
One time concession.